It's a Small World, After All

In the late 1980's I spent a year in Silicon Valley, working for a high-tech telecom products company. One of the friends I made while working there was an Iranian guy, who lived in San Francisco and commuted the short distance by car. Hossein was very cordial, and highly educated. Some weekends I would visit him in the city and we would eat dinner together at a restaurant in North Beach. Hossein's father was a diplomat when he was growing up, so he had lived in a number of European cities and had lots of stories to tell. Sometimes he would kid me, while enjoying an after dinner cigar and brandy, about marrying me off to one of his girl cousins in Tehran, since I not only had a good job, but like a good Muslim I didn't smoke or drink. One evening he told me that he was returning to Tehran to head up a government telecom research facility. We stayed in touch, but I never saw him again.

During the Christmas season in 1990, I was shopping at Nordstrom in downtown Seattle with my girlfriend and as we passed a perfume counter, she sprayed a bit of Chanel No. 5 on her wrist from a sample bottle. Before we reached the end of the counter a thickly accented saleswoman's voice tracked us from behind, "No, no , no. That's not the way we try our perfume in Europe!". I was wondering just how one could test perfume otherwise, when she began waving a tissue and spritzing perfume at it. "Aha, and just where do you come from in Europe?", I asked, thinking that her accent indicated elswhere. "Oh", she said, "well, I was born in Tehran, but I really grew up in Vienna". I had just received a holiday card from my friend Hossein and I still had it with me in my backpack. I said, "That's funny, I just got a card from a friend who was also born in Tehran and grew up in Vienna." Her jaw dropped as she stared at me and asked in a quivering voice, "Hossein?". Mind you, in some countries with large populations, saying "Hossein" is like saying "Joe". But then she added "Hossein... Serri?". I couldn't resist pulling the card out of my backpack and showing it to her. She burst into tears and said she and Hossein had been best friends growing up and that she hadn't seen him since they were both fourteen. When I knew Hossein he was already in his early forties, so we're talking about almost thirty years, here. The woman gave me her business card and I promised to pass her contact information along to Hossein.

Back at home, I couldn't resist placing a call to Tehran. I thanked Hossein for the card he sent and told him I had just run into an old friend of his, a woman he apparently grew up with in Vienna. "Naomi?", he asked, before I even had a chance to say her name. "Yes", I said, hearing what sounded like sobs on the other end. "I lost track of her so many years ago, this is like a miracle finding her again, my friend", he cried. "Yes", I said, "it's a small world".

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

9 Comments - Leave yours!:

Dawn-Ann said...

What a fabulous story. I have tears in my eyes. Merry Christmas, my friend - it really is such a small world.

lewisshepherd said...

That's a lovely story. By the way, without the postal mail (the card from Hossein) and the telephone (calling him), the connection wouldn't have been made... and of course emails, blogs, and Twitter are today's new equivalents. Connections are very human and sometimes - like your story - incredibly wonderful! Nicely written, glad I read it.

Oh yeah - what was the North Beach restaurant you guys used to eat at? I used to live in SF back in the day (84-02), including couple years on Telegraph Hill, and i ate in NBeach every day for a long time :-)

Ursula Barzey said...

What a great story. And just goes to show that we are indeed Six Degrees of Seperation.

Marc Ostrick said...

Touching Story. Thanks for sharing... Please keep us up to date of what happens with Naomi and Hossein!

tom harvey said...

Wonderful story. Somehow touched me more as I am a recent ExPat living in Vienna and feeling a bit lonely this Christmas Day. Your story made me realize that even though miles separate us, with Twitter, Face Book, the internet, we are all one family. Thanks

The Energy Guru said...

Love when we follow the trai. The yellow brick road. Prague is by all counts fascinating as are so many places but it has such mystery attached to it. Christian to Spy and back.

Blessings

KyNam Doan said...

You gave them both such a priceless gift that Holiday season. Makes me think back to those I've lost touch with.

There are several old friends that I'd like to get back in touch with. I'm going to find them.

Thanks Bob!

tom watson said...

Small world indeed. You've not come across Donna Lane on your travels have you?

Chris said...

Sometimes in life the unexpected can happen.. or even the smallest of things or gestures can really make a difference to the whole world around you!


...a Czech-speaking American expat living in Prague since 1993. Secular Humanist. Left Libertarian. Critical Thinker. Cancer Survivor.

Use the links on the top menu bar to visit my other blogs about Prague and the Web.